Legal Requirements

Important Legal Documentation

Before you are married, you will be required to fill out and sign the following legal documents:
1. Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM) (Form 13)
This notice must be lodged no more than 18 months before your wedding date, and no less than one calendar month plus one day before that date.

Please note:
a) your celebrant must sight one of the following proof of identity documents:
•    an original birth certificate OR
•    a certified extract of an original birth certificate (if the original is lost) ) OR
•    an overseas passport (in the case of someone born overseas) OR
•    a statutory declaration (in the case of someone born overseas whose original record of birth and/or passport are no longer available)
note: an Australian passport is not an acceptable proof of identity document

b) the NOIM is also a declaration of your marital status, indicating that you are legally free to marry. If one or both partners have been divorced or widowed, the following must be sighted by the celebrant:
•    in the case of divorce, a decree absolute
•    in the case of widowhood, a death certificate

The NOIM form is usually provided by your celebrant, but it can be downloaded from the website of the Marriage section at the Attorney-General’s Department (  In this case, please note that your signatures must be witnessed, so please ensure that you do not sign the NOIM unless in the presence of the relevant authority.

2. Certificate of Marriage (incorporating new Form 14 Declaration)
This document includes personal details, and a declaration as to your marital status, which affirms that there is no legal impediment to your marriage.  The Declaration will be filled out approximately seven days before your wedding day to ensure that the information is up-to-date and accurate.  The reverse side will be signed after your ceremony.  The document will be sent to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages by your celebrant.

3.  The Marriage Register, your celebrant’s record of your marriage

4.  Presentation Civil Marriage Certificate (Form 15)
This one will be signed by you and your witnesses on your wedding day, at the end of the ceremony.  It is a numbered legal document, which will be given to you to by your celebrant to take with you.

5. Standard Marriage Certificate
In the event that the bride wishes to change her surname after the marriage, this is the document which functions as a legal document acceptable to such authorities as the Passport Office and the RTA (the Marriage Certificate which you will receive on your wedding day is not acceptable for legal change of name notification.)  It should be obtained from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages as soon as possible after the marriage.  As your celebrant, I am happy to arrange to have this certificate issued, and mailed to you, when I lodge details of your marriage with the Registry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *